Saturday, March 27, 2010

Sticks and Stones

Words mean things. 

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."  Do you remember hearing that saying when you were a kid?  A false statement to say the least.  I would much rather have been slapped than to hear some the words that have been spoken to me.  I remember being slapped across the face once by my father.  He certainly got my attention.  I was never able to get through to him though.  Perhaps I should have slapped him back? :)  He would not listen to my words.  He did not seek to know my heart.

Words are extremely important.  People really should remember to think before they speak.  Seriously, for from the fullness of the heart the mouth speaks.  Jesus said that, you know.  Listen to people.  What are their hearts full of?  Sticks and stones? 

I love this simple prayer, "Lord, please help me today to make my words soft and sweet - for tomorrow I may have to eat them."  Author Unknown